Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:47:07 -0500

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:31:02 -0400 Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

>> This work is almost done.  But probably a better approach than relying
>> directly on gnutls.el is to make url.el use proto-stream.el from Gnus,
>> which handles most of the connection details automatically whether Emacs
>> has GnuTLS support build-in or not.  I looked at it in order to make the
>> new GnuTLS support work properly and it seems like a good general
>> facility, not just for Gnus.
>>
>> proto-stream.el doesn't depend on any Gnus internals, it's a standalone
>> library.  It could live in net/ in the Emacs repo.

CY> How bout merging the open-protocol-stream code directly into
CY> open-network-stream?  Then we can make open-protocol-stream an alias for
CY> open-network-stream, and (provide 'proto-stream) in subr.el.

CY> If the Gnus developers don't object, I propose to do this.

OK with me, as long as it doesn't break Gnus.  I'd like to get Lars'
opinion too.

CY> (Also, gnutls.el should be changed to explicitly recommend that
CY> applications not use it directly,

How about this change (adding the second sentence):

;;; Commentary:

;; This package provides language bindings for the GnuTLS library
;; using the corresponding core functions in gnutls.c.  It should NOT
;; be used directly, only through open-protocol-stream.

CY> and we should merge net/tls.el and gnus/starttls.el; those two
CY> packages appear to be duplicates.)

Agreed, as long as Lars is OK with this.

Ted