Re: general lazy list facility for Emacs Lisp?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: general lazy list facility for Emacs Lisp?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:26:49 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> Note that the byte-compiler won't like the above.  You'll want either
>
>   (let ((x 1))
>     (defalias 'lex-test (lambda (y) (+ x y))))
>
> or
>
>   (defalias 'lex-test (let ((x 1)) (lambda (y) (+ x y))))
>
> or something like that.

Yes, I know, just wanted to check if it works at all.

>>> and will report issues if I find one in my daily use.
>> Found one!  C-h k lexical-binding RET errors.
>
> Hmm... works here.

Strange.

>> I've reported it, but the confirmation mail has not yet arrived.
>
> I'll wait for the precise report, then.

Oh, I'll have to add that this happens for any describe command, no
matter what I describe.  First I get that error, but after quitting the
debugger, I get the *Help* buffer anyway...

>>> I guess, that there are many packages that won't work with
>>> lexical-binding set to t, right?
>
> Indeed.  Tho check the Elisp manual for hints about how to convert
> (it's usually pretty easy).

Great, I'll see if I can help with some patches for transitioning the
packages I'm using most.

>> Seems to be a false assumption.  At least org and Gnus are running
>> fine.
>
> I think you're misunderstanding your test, because I doubt either of
> Gnus or Org would work with lexical-binding without any additional
> modification.  lexical-binding is a variable that applies to a
> file/buffer.  E.g. it affects the compiler but not the compiled code.

Ah, ok.  In the mean time, I've found out that Gnus does not build
(byte-compile) at all with a lexical-binding set to t.

Bye,
Tassilo