Re: request for reviewing the updated version of cc-guess.el

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: request for reviewing the updated version of cc-guess.el
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:35:41 +0000

Hi, Masatake.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 07:24:43PM +0900, Masatake YAMATO wrote:

> > Which commands need key bindings?

> I think no key binding is needed.

That's fine with me.

> I think it will not be invoked frequently.  However, I think the
> commands should be listed in "C" pull-down menu.

> [Style >] [Set Manually (c-set-style) ]
>           [Examine Current Buffer and Guess Style]
>           [Examine Current Buffer, Guess Style and Install It]
>           [Install Guessed Result (cc-guess-install)]
>           [View Guessed Result (cc-guess-view-guessed-style)]

> or

> [Set Style Manually (c-set-style) ]
> [Examine Current Buffer and Guess Style]
> [Examine Current Buffer, Guess Style and Install It]
> [Install Guessed Style (cc-guess-install)]
> [View Guessed Style (cc-guess-view-guessed-style)]

> The fine controllable indentation engine of cc-mode is the one of the
> greatest point of cc-mode. So I think "style" menu item should be in C
> pull-down menu entry.

> How do you think?

OK.  Could you please submit a patch for this?  :-)

One other thing: there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for dumping out a
guessed style so that it can be used in a future Emacs session.
Something like M-x c-dump-guessed-style which would print out the style
a bit like c-submit-but-report (C-c C-b) dumps the entire configuration.
Do you think something like this is needed?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).