Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs

From: chad
Subject: Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:00:31 -0700

On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:17 PM, Christoph Conrad wrote:

>> While I agree that Emacs programmers might be happy with the easy
>> availability of such icons, adding hundreds of files to the Emacs
>> tarfile, not directly used by Emacs, strikes me as wasteful.
>
> Programmers are able to customize emacs to their needs by adding any
> external icon set they need. The everyday user (yes, they exist) is not.

In what situation does the everyday user want to add an icon to emacs?
Programmers adding functionality might easily want new icons for that
functionality, but I'm not easily imagining a situation where an `everyday
user' would want to add a new icon to emacs without crossing (pretty far, imho)
the line into what you seem to be calling a programmer.

Perhaps a user might want to switch all their icons to 'silk versions',
something that might reasonably be done in a package.  If that package
contained all of the silk icons suggested, hundreds of them would still be
wasted space.

What am I missing?
*Chad