Re: Keeping an ELPA checkout

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Keeping an ELPA checkout
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:06:38 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> But ELPA packages are... packages!  Everything in emacs/lisp is source
> code, meant to work as you describe.  Some ELPA packages happen to be
> single-file libraries but you are trying to skip the installation and
> activation steps which track dependencies, byte-compile, and adjust the
> load path.

Currently, we only have a script for deploying the elpa branch to an
archive, i.e. to a place from which the packages can be installed.

With a bit more work, we could add another script (or a Makefile rule)
for *installing* all the packages in the archive to a given location (or
even in place).  By pointing `package-directory-list' to that directory,
one would have all the packages in the archive installed in one step.
This is probably what Stefan has in mind.