Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:42:27 -0400

> > Isn't proto-stream.el and the `network'/`network-only' keywords new in
> > this version of Gnus?
>
> `network-only' is new.  People have been using `network' as the stream
> spec for nntp/nnimap since forever.

nntp doesn't look like a issue, since nntp-open-connection-function is
passed through an internal association list to get the connection type.

As for nnimap, fair enough.  This can be solved by adding `network' as a
synonym to `try-starttls'.

> If you just feed `open-protocol-stream' `network' without a capability
> command, you get a non-upgraded connection.  If you do the same with
> `try-starttls' you will also not get a non-upgraded connection.
>
> I don't really see why the latter is clearer than the former.

Explaining the meanings of the :type makes the former scheme sound more
complicated: "try starttls if the :capability-command and :success and
:starttls-function parameters are present, otherwise open a normal
network stream".  As opposed to "try starttls".

But if you feel strongly about this, I won't insist; it's not an
important issue.  Should I bring the default back?

> (But in the latter case you could error out if you do that and not
> supply a `capability-command', I guess.)

It would be cleaner to error out, IMO.  The :success and
:starttls-function parameters ought be checked also.