Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs

From: chad
Subject: Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:09:53 -0700

On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> c> If that package contained all of the silk icons suggested, hundreds
> c> of them would still be wasted space.
>
> Silk is 4 MB unpacked.  I don't think that's wasteful considering the
> benefits of a consistent, well-designed, comprehensive set of 700 icons.

I understand that space is cheap, but under what circumstances will, (at a
generous guess), 600 of those 700 icons *ever* be used? All the circumstances I
see include a step like ``...and a developer writes some code that adds a
button, using a currently-unused icon from the silk set...'' - at which point
the developer will 99% of the time pick the icon and include it in the
library/package anyway.

What am I missing?
*Chad