Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:27:37 -0500

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:09:53 -0700 chad <address@hidden> wrote:

c> On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

c> If that package contained all of the silk icons suggested, hundreds
c> of them would still be wasted space.

>> Silk is 4 MB unpacked.  I don't think that's wasteful considering the
>> benefits of a consistent, well-designed, comprehensive set of 700 icons.

c> I understand that space is cheap, but under what circumstances will,
c> (at a generous guess), 600 of those 700 icons *ever* be used?

I can go through Emacs and point out uses for all of those icons.  The
question is really "will they get used?" and I believe so, partly
because I'll try to convince developers to use them by making iconset.el
really convenient compared to:

c> All the circumstances I see include a step like ``...and a developer
c> writes some code that adds a button, using a currently-unused icon
c> from the silk set...'' - at which point the developer will 99% of the
c> time pick the icon and include it in the library/package anyway.

So, the idea is to provide iconset.el+iconset-silk.el so developers
don't have to do this elementary, repetitive, wasteful work, and so they
don't end up with the Gnus situation where a collection of icons is
thrown into a directory and... that's it.

Ted