Re: Annoying window/frame-configuration registers

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Annoying window/frame-configuration registers
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:15:18 +0800

On 2011-03-29 02:14 +0800, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm quite sure there are use cases where point restoration is needed.
> However, a customizable option to do what you want is probably a good
> idea.

I suspect so but I can not find any more information from the history.
Would be good to know its use cases and check whether they are obsolete.

On 2011-03-29 02:51 +0800, martin rudalics wrote:
> `jump-to-register' is a command which does
>
>   "Move point to location stored in a register."
>
> Your change would keep `point' unaltered which doesn't fit the
> description of the function.  I would write a new function say
> `restore-window-configuration-from-register' and try to find some key
> for it.
>
> martin

In that case, I wonder if it makes sense to change the doc string to
mean 'jump to the state recorded by a register'. Finding another
key binding is less inconvenient since there is one more key to remember
and I kind of like 'C x r j'. WDYT?

Thanks to all for comments.
Leo