Re: Keeping an ELPA checkout

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Keeping an ELPA checkout
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:06:25 -0500

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:16:08 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> Where they go doesn't matter much, yes..  The important part is to be
SM> able to use them in-place and have them all activated from a single
SM> place with "bzr up; make".

>> OK.  So who's going to do the work?  And can you summarize what you're
>> asking for after this discussion?

SM> What I wrote above is the summary, AFAIK.

OK, I'll try to summarize because your requirements are not clear to
me.  Tell me if I understand what you're looking for.

1) check out or update Emacs trunk to $trunk and build it (should you
need to install?)

2) check out or update the ELPA branch to $elpa

3) cd $elpa; make local-install EMACS=$trunk/src/emacs (this runs the
trunk-built Emacs to `package-install' each ELPA package in
$elpa/packages and then adds "$elpa/packages" to
`package-directory-list' or maybe gives you a snippet to put in your
.emacs).  The trunk-built Emacs may need to have been installed
system-wide.

4) Now all the ELPA packages should be available as if you had installed
them through `package-install' into ~/.emacs.d because
`package-directory-list' has been augmented

5) any package build and installation artifacts in $elpa need to be
ignored by Bazaar

Is this correct?

Thanks
Ted