Re: A better autogen.sh

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: A better autogen.sh
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 01:38:41 +0900

Jim Meyering writes:

 > In any case, they are far outnumbered by the less-experienced
 > users, the vast majority of whom will perform a srcdir build.

Yah think?

Maybe it's just me, but one of the first things I learned was that
doing an out-of-$srcdir build sometimes saves you a lot of grief if
you don't know what you're doing and don't feel like learning.  It
quickly became a habit.  If there's a reason why it's hard to make
this stuff work in that context, that's one thing, but there are
probably enough users out there who would benefit from making it work
in non-$srcdir builds to make it worth doing if possible.