Re: A better autogen.sh

From: chad
Subject: Re: A better autogen.sh
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:46:32 -0700

On Mar 29, 2011, at 5:23 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:

Sure, but that's fine.  This is only stopgap, for those who
don't read the build instructions.  Those users are unlikely
to be doing a non-srcdir build.

If we're still talking about my case, I read the instructions, but they were (temporarily) incorrect -- they told me that I would only have to do something once when I actually needed to do it second time.  As I understand it, this was a small window of opportunity while the new system is being put into place. Had I not been on the road at the time, I would have caught the need via email.

For a more general ``doesn't read INSTALL.bzr'' situation, can we just include a default Makefile (overwritten by the autogen machinery) that either instructs the user to read INSTALL.bzr or runs the autogen machinery? That doesn't seem like something that should require gnu make extensions, even.

*Chad