Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: url library and GnuTLS, and Emacs-issued certificates
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:54:11 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> To be concrete, the doc would say something like this:
>
>   If :type is omitted or nil, that specifies a `try-starttls' type
>   connection if the :success, :capability-command, and
>   :starttls-function parameters are all also given; otherwise, a plain
>   network connection.
>
> Is that fine by you?

My point is that `try-starttls' is somewhat meaningless, since you have
to give all the additional parameters to get a STARTTLS upgrade.  If you
don't, you get a non-upgraded connection even if you do say
`try-starttls'.

That, and the nnimap incompatibility issue (sorry for not looking at the
nntp.el code first) just makes me feel that `try-starttls' isn't the
most useful choice.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen