Re: python.el cleanup

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: python.el cleanup
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:48:11 -0400

Thanks for CC'ing me.  I'm now subscribed to emacs-devel via Gmane.

On Mar 30, 2011, at 04:10 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>glad to see Emacs python facilities improve. As you mention python-mode.el,
>there are some remarks in python.el which I feel are not correct. If some
>solution predates historically another, there are usually some setbacks from
>being the first.  OTOH from my perspective python-mode.el has still some
>point in proceding.  Hopefully we may discuss the pro and cons to the benefit
>of users, which flavour they may choose finally.

Yes, let's please try to converge Python support in Emacs as much as
possible.  I've heard there are now 4 Python modes, which if true, is really
not helping users.

All history aside, I applaud efforts to find ways to consolidate the modes,
keeping in mind the features and behavior users find important from each of
the flavors.  Andreas is doing the majority of the work on python-mode.el
these days, and we have a vibrant community on address@hidden and an
active project on Launchpad.  I personally am much more of a user than
developer these days (too busy with other things Pythonic), but by no means
the only person using python-mode.el.

Cheers,
-Barry