Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere).
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:45:46 +0200

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 03:59, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's only because so far, people don't lose push races often enough
> for it to matter.  Commits that from your point of view are on the
> mainline really are on local branches until you succeed in pushing.
> If you use a bound branch, you're saved from that, true (this is not
> entirely trivial, but I'm pretty sure in practice it will be true).

It does happen that we're using a bound branch for trunk (that's the
recommended setup), so again, you're arguing pretty convincingly for
an hypothetical situation, and I'm discussing the here-and-now.

> But bound branches suck for anything much bigger than a typo fix.

The fact that huge, successful projects are developed with
non-distributed VCS seem to indicate that your opinion is just that,
an opinion.

And no, I'm not saying I prefer CVS or Subversion to Bazaar or git,
because I don't. But the model we're using is one where there is a
preferred, centralized branch, and the distributed features of our VCS
are for the convenience of the developers, not to suddenly force some
kind of distributed model of Emacs development.

    Juanma