Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere)

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere).
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:38:40 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

> Right now, you and I simultaneously clone the mainline at r42.  You
> commit, creating r43, because as far as bzr knows, you're on the
> mainline.  Oops, you missed something, and you commit your r44, with
> the message "Fix bug introduced in r43."  While you're fixing the bug,
> I commit and push, and my commit becomes mainline r43.  Now when you
> pull and merge, your commits that used to be on the (local) mainline
> with revnos r43 and r44 are now off the mainline and have revnos
> r42.1.1 and r42.1.2, and the commit message is now a dastardly attack
> on my reputation. ;-)

Not really.  Since r43 is a reference to a revision _local_ to the
merged branch, it is easy to interpret it as a reference to 42.1.1.  I
already have a few such references in the VM mainline and they haven't
posed a problem.  What happens when there are multiple mainlines or
when you cherry pick revisions into another release branch, I am not
sure.

Cheers,
Uday