Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere).
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 22:43:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> > It is very easy to see that revision, even if it is on the other
>> > branch, assuming that the referenced branch is in your repo, with the
>> > "revno:NNN:/path/to/branch" revision identifier.
>>
>> Precisely, what I described above was a setup where having the "other
>> branch" (say better "the other brancheS") is a burden. So I don't have
>> them.
>
> The above works with URLs as well, of course.  You don't need to have
> the branches locally.

URLs are useless when you have no internet. I usally work on my hobby
projects on isolated places.

In general you are assuming that others share your work environment,
views and practices. Please note that the transition to a dVCS removed a
lot of implicit policies.

Anyways I was just suggesting a sane practice for any project: avoid
ambiguity on communication. Commit messages are communication devices
just like code comments, function names, etc. You write them once, but
are read a million times. You can argue that a revno is as clear as a
revid for those working on trunk. I say that it is a burden for those
who work on branches, and a potential source of confussion if the
practice is used by those who work on branches.

I've made my point. Now, everyone do as you please.