Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Please don't use revision numbers on commit messages (and elsewhere).
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 23:53:02 +0200

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 17:55, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> Once Emacs switched to a dVCS, it is a distributed project. You can
> insist on its centralization all the time, but the truth is that working
> on Emacs on a distributed way is a decisions that now belongs to each
> and every hacker. I can have my private branches, I can publish them
> from my machine, I can exchange revisions with other hackers. Eventually
> I can contribute those changes to "central" Emacs, but the process was
> distributed all the way, because I chose to do so. Whatever informal
> policy some Emacs hackers follow, it is irrelevant to me.

Or, to see it from the other side, the way some people use the dVCS to
"develop in a distributed way" is irrelevant to the Emacs project
policies... because, as has already been said, the project is
currently, and for the foreseeable future, using a centralized
repository.

> This looks like defeatism :-)

s/defe/pragm/;

> Maybe you perceive the issue as FUD because your workflow?

Yeah. Maybe you see the issue as very big because of yours?

> I admit that the problem is negligible *now*.

I'm glad we agree.

> How much importance it
> will adquire on the future depends on how Emacs development evolves. You
> say it will not turn serious because Emacs development will not
> change. Okay, time will tell.

No, I'm saying we can cross that bridge once we reach it.

    Juanma