Re: list-processes reimplementation, and list/menu buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: list-processes reimplementation, and list/menu buffers
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 17:04:58 -0400

> One issue is what to call the generic major mode.  I chose menu-buffer
> because the inheriting modes would be called *-menu-mode (package-menu,
> process-menu...), but I'm not crazy about the name.

I think an important feature of this parent mode is that it handles
tabulated data (as opposed to things like completion-list-mode), so that
might give us a clue for what name to give it.
Maybe tabulated-list-mode?

BTW: I think mpc.el's MPC-Songs buffer could use such a parent mode as well.

> I looked into using ewoc, but it seemed to provide little benefit,
> because there's no complex insertion or deletion of data entries being
> performed; for both the package-menu and process-menu, entries are just
> regenerated from scratch each time anyway.

Agreed.  But it would be desirable to use ewoc on top of this new parent
mode, for modes such as VC-Dir.

        Stefan