Re: splitting ChangeLogs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: splitting ChangeLogs
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 09:36:27 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > So what am I missing?

The logs and diffs.

Since I'm not Andreas, I guess I can't leave it at that.<wink>

If before for splitting ChangeLog, bzr log ChangeLog shows N
revisions, after either of the procedures shown, one of ChangeLog and
ChangeLog.11 has 1 revision, and the other has N+1.  bzr diff does
nothing useful with the newly added file.  With a hypothetical bzr cp,
both would have N+1, and bzr diff would work on both.

This isn't terribly useful for ChangeLogs whose entries are (almost)
immutable, of course, but it is very useful in cases where a source
file containing multiple functions is refactored into two files.

I could have sworn bzr had this feature, but maybe I'm thinking of
Mercurial (which definitely has it).