Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 15:12:09 +0300

> From: Štěpán Němec <address@hidden>
> Cc: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 12:26:42 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > tabulated-list-init-header assumes without testing that u+25b2 and
> > u+25bc will be displayed as themselves.  But with various values of
> > glyphless-char-display-control, this may not be true.  Also, on text
> > terminals these characters generally cannot be displayed, which makes
>                              ^^^^^^^^^
> I wonder what your meant by this word?

"Generally" as in "for any terminal encoding but one".

> Both characters display fine for me in urxvt and xterm, and even in
> the linux console (displayed as up/down arrows instead of triangles)
> on a Debian system. Just a data point.

That's exactly the _only_ terminal encoding where these characters can
be displayed correctly, and even then assuming that the terminal can
display them.  Displaying them as an up and down arrow is just an
emulation (and not a faithful one at that, in this case, if you ask
me).