Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 18:37:48 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Štěpán Němec <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 10:56:27 -0300
>
> >> Both characters display fine for me in urxvt and xterm, and even in
> >> the linux console (displayed as up/down arrows instead of triangles)
> >> on a Debian system. Just a data point.
> > That's exactly the _only_ terminal encoding where these characters can
>
> Still, that covers pretty much *all* terminals under GNU/Linux systems.

The world is not limited to GNU/Linux, and even GNU/Linux users might
prefer non-UTF-8 encoding.

> And IIUC the same holds for Mac OS X terminals, so the only significant
> counter example is the Windows terminals (does putty support/encourage
> utf-8?).

Yes PuTTY does support UTF-8.  I don't know how to measure
"encourage"; it's not the default, if that's what you are asking.  The
default is the current system codepage, which is never UTF-8 on
Windows.

> But your point still holds true: we want/need to properly handle the
> case where the terminal cannot display those chars.

Which is why I don't understand Štěpán's remark at all.  It sounded
like he was saying this isn't a problem because it works on GNU/Linux
terminals that use UTF-8.