Re: oops? read/write vs type of length parameter

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: oops? read/write vs type of length parameter
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:40:54 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > However, did you really intend to make the buffer length parameters signed?
 > > I would have expected those to be of type size_t, not ssize_t.
 >
 > We call these functions with an argument of type EMACS_INT,

If you're going to do that, why not declare it as an EMACS_INT?

The problem with using external standard types is that some developers
will proceed to "correct" them, and the compiler won't tell you about it.
Of course if you happen to be paying attention (which is most of the
time to be sure), the patch will get rejected, but it seems to me
using EMACS_INT will forestall that.