Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:31:51 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> So we are going to invent a new display feature, just to display 2
> fancy characters in a specialized mode buffer, and in a way that will
> support simultaneous display in several different display types?

Yep.

> I'd say it's an overkill.  Perhaps we should simply compromise and use
> ASCII art, or no indication at all.

I suspect there will be other situations where it's convenient to use
unicode glyphs in Emacs buffers.  If we can design a sufficiently
flexible system, I think this is a good investment.

For example, one could imagine a version of table.el that displays

┌─┬─┐
│a│b│
├─┼─┤
│ │ │
└─┴─┘

on graphical terminals, using the Unicode box-drawing glyphs, and
displays the equivalent ASCII borders on terminals that don't handle
Unicode.