Re: [O] Re: Completing with anything

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [O] Re: Completing with anything
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:42:43 -0300

> Because this one return (list start end completion-choies), and does not
> do anything else. I can't do it myself using the current completion
> mechanism, IIUC.

Hmm... good point, doing it in completion-choices is not reliable, tho
using as completion table something like:

(lambda (string pred action)
  (let ((res (complete-with-action action completion-choices string pred)))
    (if (and (eq action nil)
             (assq (if (eq res t) string res) <expansion-alist>))
        (cdr (assq (if (eq res t) string res) <expansion-alist>))
      res)))

should work OK for prefix completion, but that means using the expansion
"by hand" rather than via expand-abbrev, which may not be an option.

        Stefan