Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: tabulated-list-init-header and glyphless-char-display
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:39:15 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > No, I was trying to suggest something much simpler: see if these
>> > characters can be displayed, e.g. with unencodable-char-position (and
>> > something similar for GUI sessions), and if so, use surrogates
>> > directly in the code, without going through glyphless-char-display.
>>
>> How would this handle the multi-tty case?
>
> The only thing that matters on a tty is its encoding, which you pass
> to unencodable-char-position.
>
> If you mean that some frames can be GUI frames, then you can always
> know what kind of frame is the selected one, right?
>
> Or are you thinking about something else?

Suppose we make the *Process List* buffer and display it in a GUI
terminal.  Then, we create a text terminal in the same Emacs session,
and display that same buffer in the text terminal.

The buffer has to display correctly, without a priori knowledge of the
terminal(s) on which it is to be displayed.

Therefore, checking unencodable-char-position at buffer creation time
does not work.  The fallback behavior has to be done at redisplay time.