Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Have `C-x v =' run `diff-backup'
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:57:50 -0500

Deniz> 2011/4/14 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>:
>>> When looking at files, I often wonder what the diff is between the
>>> current version and the previous one, so my fingers go `C-x v ='
>>> automatically, only to be presented with "No fileset is available here".
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be nice if that command, if there was no fileset there, and
>>> there were backup files, would then run `diff-backup' instead of just
>>> erroring out?

Deniz> I guess this would be confusing to many people if they're not aware of
Deniz> this behaviour. If this is implemented, maybe it would be best to tell
Deniz> the user that there is no fileset and ask if s?he wants to diff with
Deniz> the backup?

Tom> How about, if there are no differences, put a "diff against previous
Tom> revision" button into the *vc-diff* buffer?

Buttons are slow.  Maybe it would be OK to just do
(y-or-n-p "There are no changes in this revision, try the previous one?")

Ted