Re: change-log-font-lock-keywords

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: change-log-font-lock-keywords
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:00:08 -0300

> in clisp we have a few "thanks" notes:

> $ grep '^        Thanks' src/ChangeLog
>         Thanks to Carlos Ungil <address@hidden> for testing.
>         Thanks to Daniel Leidert <address@hidden> for much enlightening!
>         Thanks to Eric Blake <address@hidden> for much enlightening!
>         Thanks to Yaroslav Kavenchuk <address@hidden> for investigation.
>         Thanks to Michael Kappert <address@hidden> for testing.
>         Thanks to Laurent Vaucher <address@hidden>
>         Thanks to Michael Kappert <address@hidden> for testing
>         Thanks to Yaroslav Kavenchuk <address@hidden> for debugging
>         Thanks to Feng Hou <address@hidden> for report, test case and fix.
>         Thanks to Feng Hou <address@hidden> for report and patch.
>         Thanks to Dan Knapp, John K. Hinsdale, and Jörg Höhle
>         Thanks to Daniel Buenzli and Sunil Mishra for feedback.

> Is it okay to make change-log-font-lock-keywords highlight these?

The point of the comment you quoted is that "thanks to" doesn't say
exactly what was the nature of the contribution.
If the patch is from address@hidden, then address@hidden should be in the line
above
the description of the change.
If address@hidden only provided hints or reported the error, but did not
provide actual code, then we use "Reported by" or "Suggested by", both
of which are highlighted.
We could highlight "Thanks to" as well, but the above seems to indicate
that you tend to misuse it since it does include cases where the person
submitted actual code, so his/her name should be elsewhere.

Part of the reason why the difference is important is that it clearly
separate the cases where the contribution might affect the
copyright status.

        Stefan