Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:22:22 +0200

2011/4/16 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:01:12 +0200 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> LB> Why? (fboundp 'idn-is-recommended) only returns true if the function
> LB> is defined or autoloaded. If idn.el is not available the function
> LB> should not be autoloaded, or?
>
> My example showed that `fboundp' returns t if the function is
> autoloaded, even if it's not actually loaded yet.
>
> (when (autoload 'coocoo1 "coo")
>  (fboundp 'coocoo1))
>
> => t
>
> (coocoo1)
>
> => Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "coo")

Yes, of course. But coocoo1 should not be autoloaded if coo.el is not
available, or?

> Lennart wants to conditionally, if idn.el is available, to enable its
> use in the defcustom so things Just Work for the user:
>
> (defcustom markchars-what
>  `(markchars-simple-pattern
>    markchars-confusables
>    ,@(when (fboundp 'idn-is-recommended) '(markchars-nonidn-fun)))
>
> I'm not sure what's the right approach, but IMO (require 'idn nil t) is
> the simplest solution.

Maybe I am beginning to understand. I suppose you want idn.el to be
available even if autoloading is not used for `idn-is-recommended'?

In that case this could perhaps work:

(unless (fboundp 'idn-is-recommended)
   (require 'idn nil t))