Re: line-move-down-up

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: line-move-down-up
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:20:37 +0200

On Apr 18, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Alin Soare wrote:

2011/4/18 Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden>
Alin Soare writes:

 > > look better:
 >
 > (define-key global-map [(meta up)] (lambda (&optional n) (interactive "P")
 > (line-move-down (if (numberp n) (- n) -1))))

Yeah, sorry about that.

 > But, yes. You are right.
 >
 > Transpose-lines does the job, but not as I wish.

Of course it doesn't.  All defaults suck for somebody.  That's what
.emacs is for.

If you want to impose the burden of maintenance on the team, you need
to explain why your version is an improvement for a lot of people.

I used the meta + up-down, using the model of spreadsheets of org-mode, that I use. It is the most convenient conbination for me.

If I use C-x C-t, the cursor goes down, while the line goes up. I cannot move the line the second time.

And this only transposes the line, not move the line.

I need move, not transpose, and I cannot find this in emacs.

I also use this functionality, but I get it from drag-stuff.el (not written by me) which has the advantage of being on http://tromey.com/elpa/ .  It also has functionality for dragging words and region, though I rarely use it.  The only problem it has (for me) is that it interferes with org-mode's M-up/down, but you can fix that by setting `drag-stuff-except-modes'.

I have thought about adding the ability to drag defun's and such, but so far haven't taken the time.

-Ivan