Re: Nested display strings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Nested display strings
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:47:23 -0300

> What about the case when the "inner" overlay has higher priority than
> the "outer" one?

Same problem: for two overlays of equal `priority', the shorter one has
higher priority, so your original example is already one of those
cases, AFAIC.

The main issue is that a single overlays with a `display' property
normally means "display that thing *once*".  So while we can argue of
the case where the two overlays share the start or end position, in the
case where the inner overlays is really "in the middle", there's no
clearly correct way to render it.

So I think the best behavior is to detect the situation and signal
some kind of warning/error (and behave in whichever way is most
convenient for the C code).

        Stefan