Re: list-print-separator

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: list-print-separator
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:51:46 -0300

SM> Hmm... I wouldn't try to compare the speed of `print' with that of `pp'
SM> since they do very different amounts of work and are implemented in
SM> languages whose performance is very different, but there's clearly room
SM> for improvement in pp's speed.
> I want to print out a large ELisp data structure prettily.  The Gnus
> newsrc.eld, for example, or the Gnus registry hashtable.  I'll use
> whatever makes it happen as fast as possible.

The newsrc.eld has never been pretty and it's never been a problem, AFAIK.
Not sure what's the "Gnus registry", so I can't comment on that.

SM> You could use an ad-hoc pp-like function, maybe?  The way I see it, you
SM> typically either need "fast" or "pretty" but very rarely both.
> With my list-print-separator patch you get fast and OK-looking.
> Are you concerned it's only useful sometimes?  The speed penalty is
> minor if it's not used.

It's just added complexity for a very unconvincing result.

I'd rather make `pp' faster, or if it's too difficult split it into
a "print-really-pretty" and "print-quickly-and-not-too-ugly".

        Stefan