Re: list-print-separator

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: list-print-separator
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:05:43 +0100

On Mon 25 Apr 2011, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> SM> Hmm... I wouldn't try to compare the speed of `print' with that of `pp'
> SM> since they do very different amounts of work and are implemented in
> SM> languages whose performance is very different, but there's clearly room
> SM> for improvement in pp's speed.
>> I want to print out a large ELisp data structure prettily.  The Gnus
>> newsrc.eld, for example, or the Gnus registry hashtable.  I'll use
>> whatever makes it happen as fast as possible.
>
> The newsrc.eld has never been pretty and it's never been a problem, AFAIK.
> Not sure what's the "Gnus registry", so I can't comment on that.

I use somthing like this for a prettier newsrc.eld:

(add-hook 'gnus-save-quick-newsrc-hook
          (lambda ()
            (save-excursion
              (goto-char (point-min))
              (save-match-data
                (while (re-search-forward "(\\\"\\| ((\\| (nn" nil t)
                  (replace-match "\n  \\&" t)))
              (delete-trailing-whitespace))))

It may not be perfect, but it does make it a great deal more readable.

    AndyM