Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Mohsen BANAN
Subject: Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:44:06 -0700

  >> From: Mohsen BANAN <address@hidden>
  >> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:31:57 -0700
  >> Cc: address@hidden
  >>
  >> My mixed language text generated with emacs
  >> displays inconsistently in firefox vs emacs24.
  >>
  >> For example when I write:
  >>
  >> اسم کوچک من محسن Mohsen و اسم خانوادگى من بنان
  >> Banan است.
  >>

  >> My first name is Mohsen محسن and my last name is
  >> Banan بنان.

  Eli> Did you (setq bidi-display-reordering t) in the buffer where this is
  Eli> displayed?  Without that, the bidirectional reordering does not
  Eli> happen.  (Some day, this will be on by default, but not yet.)

Of course Eli! (setq bidi-display-reordering t) is
there when I compose and when I read.

The problem is not with display of a pure Farsi
line or a pure Latin line or a mixed Latin+Farsi
line.

The problem is with Fasri+Latin line.
In that it displays one way in emacs and a
differnt way in firefox.

Your citation above of my email has somehow
reproduced the problem.

So, right here we have it captured.

Look at the display of my original message
below:

اسم کوچک من محسن Mohsen و اسم خانوادگى من بنان
Banan است.

Now look at the display of citation line above
starting on the left with ' >>'  after the
  >> For example when I write:

You see how the Farsi piece (word sequence -- not
character sequence) is flipped around "Mohsen".

For example look at the dispaly ordering of
" Mohsen محسن " in the original vs citation.

In the browser my original text appears as it does
in the citation.

This email in and of itself with the citation some
how has produced the same display inconsistency
that I mentioned between emacs24 and firefox.

The problem is with a line starting in Farsi which
includes Latin.

And it displays just fine under emacs24 but word
sequences are flipped when the browser renders
that same byte sequence.

All of this may well be not related to the design
decision that you mentioned but the inconsistency
with the browser rendering is real.

...Mohsen