Re: Now: Paragraph Direction Detection and Harmonization

From: Mohsen BANAN
Subject: Re: Now: Paragraph Direction Detection and Harmonization
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:24:04 -0700

  >> For example, I think that it is worthwhile for
  >> emacs24 to have a good Conformance Statement for
  >> http://unicode.org/reports/tr9/

  Eli> We already do, see etc/NEWS:

  Eli>   Reordering of bidirectional text for display in Emacs is a "Full
  Eli>   bidirectionality" class implementation of the Unicode Bidirectional
  Eli>   Algorithm.

  Eli> Is that what you meant by "conformance statement"?  If not, what is
  Eli> it?

By a good Conformance Statement, I meant more than
that.

I meant it in the context of ISO 9646 and concepts
of Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement
(PICS) Proforma and PICS.

To evaluate conformance of a particular
implementation, it is necessary to have a
statement of the capabilities and options that
have been implemented for a given protocol (and
bidi can reasonably be regarded a protocol, as it
is based on expected behavior).  Such
a statement is called a Protocol Implementation
Conformance Statement (PICS).

I don't know if there is a PICS-Proforma for
http://unicode.org/reports/tr9/.

If there was, it would take the form of tables
refering to the base spec asking for details of
implementation with regard to each
section/option/feature/...  of the specification.

An example of PICS-Proforma in the RFC Series is:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1708

Pics is taken more seriously in the ISO/IEC
ITU/CCITT cultures. Various people have various
opinions on merits of the PICS model. I like the
PICS model and have managed to put it to good use
in realization of large networks.

In the absence of a PICS-Proforma, based on your
implementation details, you (or somebody) can go
through the specification and include emacs-bidi
implementation details and cross-referencing UAX#9
sections.

Given the lack of precision for uniformity in
determination of say paragraph direction, based on
the emacs PICS, we can then visit our sisters at
Mozilla and have a conversation towards more
harmony.

...Mohsen