Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:29:39 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> OTOH it's very nice to be told "hey, you could have X if you installed
> package Y."  I think it's good to know about these opportunities at
> customization time.

That's more similar to "recommended packages" in OS-level packaging.
I don't object, in principle, to adding functionality along those lines.

But the markchars.el and idn.el situation actually points to an
important danger.  IIUC, the straightforward solution would be to make
idn.el a dependency, but that's been made difficult by the tangle of
copyright and other problems in nXhtml.  So this kind of functionality
might tend to encourage end-runs around mainline Emacs ("come use my
version, and all this extra functionality is magically turned on!").