Re: Should Emacs provide a uuid function?

From: Ben Key
Subject: Re: Should Emacs provide a uuid function?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:16:17 -0500

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> The gist of it is that it's now part of the SDK, so no worries
> there.

I have two comments.  First, we should NEVER expect our users to have to install an enormous, developer only, package like the Microsoft SDK just to use Emacs.  It may be reasonable to expect them to install it to BUILD Emacs but not to USE Emacs.

Second, as I documented in an earlier message, the Microsoft SDK uuidgen tool is NOT a drop in replacement for the GNU/Linux uuidgen tool.

For these two reasons, we CANNOT depend on the Microsoft SDK uuidgen tool.