Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:41:42 +0200

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

>>     After that I changed it so the user can review and decide at each
>>     opportunistic install.
>>
>> This is not a binary question, it's a scale.  You want to take a step
>> towards the wrong end of the scale.  We are just introducing the
>> separate package archive, which is a big step.  Now is too soon to
>> consider another step.  The risk here is hard to calculate, so we must
>> be cautious.
>
> But such program behavior should not be encouraged in general.  In the
> vast majority of forseeable Emacs-relevant situations, opportunistic
> installation is a false optimization.  It introduces more moving parts
> into a program and obnoxiously makes the user wait for a download in the
> middle of a command---all for the purpose of saving trivial amounts of
> disk space.  In practically all instances, package dependencies are the
> proper way to go.

I think this contains some misunderstandings. Opportunistic install is
not (mainly) for saving disk space. And package dependencies only is
in my opinion too rough.

The main advantage of opportunistic install is easier structure. It is
basically the same thing as (require ...), but from the network if
needed.

Using only package dependencies makes it hard to "announce" new
possibilities. In the case of nXhtml I have tried to announce
possibilities by placing them in menus. If only package dependencies
where used that would mean installing the menus for nXhtml would
install all of nXhtml.