Re: Emacs with Cocoa/GNUstep

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Emacs with Cocoa/GNUstep
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:24:43 -0600

On mié, 2011-04-27 at 20:13 +0100, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:

> Probably not a whole lot.... FWIW, I built it successfully several times
> a few months back, and though it was not really especially useful once
> built, it was not completely unusable either, it was working enough for
> me to debug some pasteboard interaction issues without having access to
> macosx.
>
> I'm not personally up to doing much it about it at the moment, so here
> are some notes (Stefan: mostly same ones I passed offlist to you at the
> time) as a braindump, some of the below is probably obsolete:

Thanks, Stefan sent me a copy of that email some days ago.

> First and foremost, DO NOT use any debian packages of GNUstep at time of
> writing, they're obsolete and hopelessly buggy, especially on 64-bit.  I
> wasted basically a weekend's worth of emacs-time that way, I switched to
> an svn checkout of GNUstep installed to /usr/local/GNUstep and was up
> and running fairly rapidly.
>
> GNUstep itself is fairly painless to build from source (though n.b. I am
> used to underdocumented build scripts from hell from work, my perception
> may be skewed), the most tricky bit was getting building the
> gnustep-back backend right, so that I could use cairo.
>
> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_Installation_Process

I'm a contributor to GNUstep project since 2 years ago. So I really
don't have problems to install it from source. In fact I have more or
less (with some additions from SVN) the latest stable release of
GNUstep. And many apps that run perfectly.

> The other build-time issue is that emacs "./configure --with-ns" doesn't
> seem to discover the ObjC headers properly in the gnustep case -
> specifying CPPFLAGS "fixed" that, but I suspect TRT would be to have
> emacs' configure use "gnustep-config --objc-flags" to discover the flags
> (or maybe just $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES and the right part of gnustep's
> Makefiles, but gnustep-config seems interesting 'cos it apparently works
> much like other blah-config type tools).

./configure --with-ns works fine form me (with stable release of
GNUstep).

> I wouldn't say it is _totally_ unusable, but neither is it at all
> pleasant .  There are probably plenty more smaller issues that I'm
> presently not noticing given the big ones:

I tried Emacs.app like a year ago. I don't remember exactly what
version. I tested it and worked (with problems and sometimes crashed).
But currently, when I try to launch it I get the error:

address@hidden:~/Instalados/emacs$ openapp ./nextstep/Emacs.app/
/home/german/Instalados/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Emacs: Uncaught
exception NSInternalInconsistencyException, reason: NSApp's run called
recursively