Re: Should Emacs provide a uuid function?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Should Emacs provide a uuid function?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:11:10 -0400

On Apr 25, 2011, at 04:45, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> Though, at least one version I ran across generates (by default?)
>> the information-revealing "version 1" format that encodes the
>> machine's MAC address, and while some versions have options to
>> control which form is generated, not all do.
>
> Application where you'd care, please.

I don't know; I'm not familiar with many uses of UUIDs, either.  I'd expect
some messaging protocols might be able to use such a thing, but an argument has
been made against email/news message-ids using them.  Just pointing it out, in
case anyone is assuming uuidgen will always give something suitable for
exposing to the net at large associated with one's identity.

>  If any of the data for the
> applications mentioned by Leo leaked enough that somebody got hold of
> one of the UUIDs, I'd be worried about everything *except* my MAC
> address.

Are calendar or org files not suitable for being made public?  (That's a
serious question; I don't use either one.)  Should they include information
that helps track what computers I use?

Ken