Re: Emacs RPC

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs RPC
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 04:13:31 +0200

> I'll get around to implementing it one of these months, unless somebody
> else does it first.

The months came pretty quickly.

(server-eval-at "rocket-sam" '(+ 1 2))
=> 3

I've just implemented it in a simple reverse-engineered "emacsclient
-eval" fashion, and works fine in my use cases.

But it needs some thought on how to handle non-ASCII stuff, since

(server-eval-at "rocket-sam" '(format "héllo"))

does not give satisfactory results, but I'm not quite sure what the
right approach here would be...

Perhaps it needs to send over

(encode-coding-string (format "%S" (eval '(format "héllo"))) 'utf-8)

and decode it the same way to be sure that both sides agree what the
coding system is?  Hm...  would that even work?

Anyway, I've checked it in, so feel free to make it better.  :-)