Re: Emacs RPC security

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs RPC security
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 20:12:28 -0500

On Mon, 02 May 2011 21:35:46 -0300 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I'm saying the problem is that server.el doesn't know if you're offering
>> services just to yourself or to others as well, so you can't say it's OK
>> to be less secure for personal use.

SM> server.el offers full service only.

Yes, I know!  I think it should at *least* have the option to limit the
access at the entry point when the code is eval-ed.  In Common Lisp you
can disable many of the Lisp reader's options that evaluate code, but I
don't know how the Emacs Lisp reader can do that.

SM> If you give access to it to someone else than yourself, it's your
SM> mistake, not server.el.

As I keep trying to explain, you don't know who is on the other end
because there is *no* authentication, or rather it's binary: you have
the shared secret or you don't.

At least let's associate a shared secret with an access level, so we do
not allow full access all the time.  The access level can be a list of
function symbols that can be called, for instance.

Ted