Re: issues with recent doprnt-related changes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: issues with recent doprnt-related changes
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 07:56:43 -0700

On 05/04/11 02:52, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> It seems from that discussion that strings can contain MOST_POSITIVE_FIXNUM
>> bytes.
> I think the conclusion was that it can contain MOST_POSITIVE_FIXNUM
> _including_the_terminating_null_.

Hmm, that's not how I read
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-04/msg00923.html>.

I understood the argument to be that a buffer must contain at most
MOST_POSITIVE_FIXNUM - 1 bytes due to other reasons, but it's OK
to have "a string whose length is MOST_POSITIVE_FIXNUM", i.e.,
(= (length STRING) most-positive-fixnum), because we already check
buffer sizes before inserting strings.  If you
count the trailing byte, the length of the underlying C character
array would be MOST_POSITIVE_FIXNUM + 1.

I'll CC: this to emacs-devel just in case I misinterpreted that.