Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 19:31:30 +0530

>     > If there's another way to do the job, it might be better.
>
>     The reason I chose unoconv/OO.org is that it required only a few lines
>     of elisp to allow for viewing anything OO.org can read inside emacs.
>
> It seems reasonable to me.  In principle, writing ODF support in Emacs
> Lisp would be preferable, but that's a gigantic job and it might run
> too slowly.
>
> Anyway, even if this implementation is not ideal, it has the virtue of
> existing.  So we may as well install it.  If another method is
> implemented later, we could install that too.
>
> Is it feasible to implement of saving a buffer with formatting
> in ODF using this feature?  That would be really great.

I have added support for exporting Orgmode buffers to
OpenDocumentText. The module is in elisp and has no external
dependencies. The changes are in my private branch [1].

I encourage folks reading this message and in this thread to try out my
changes and give me feedback.

It was WIP when this thread was in progress. Now I believe org-odt.el is
quite usable, relatively stable and undergone some testing.

Footnotes:
[1]  Refer http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#convert-to-open-office