Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 18:09:35 +0200

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Jambunathan,

> I am wondering whether it would be possible to *not* make the unoconv
> the default converter.
>
> Speaking for myself, I had troubling getting unoconv-0.4 to work on my
> Windows box right from the way go - mostly due to limited patience and
> ignorance of python runtime. But I had better luck with using
> OpenOffice.Org's Basic macros to convert my odt files to pdf [1].

I have no experience with OO macros, but if that works then it's clearly
better than requiring an external tool with python dependencies.

Does that macro work for all files supported by OO.org/LibreOffice or is
it only for OOWriter?  (Your script calls oowriter and the macro
ConvertWordToPDF...)

> So, may I propose following minor changes to doc-view.el?
>
> Make doc-view-unoconv-program to be either an executable (as is now)
> or a function pointer with the same signature as (defun
> doc-view-odf->pdf (odf callback) ...) with one another argument that
> says where the resulting pdf file need to be produced.

Yes, please go ahead.  Thereby, doc-view-unoconv-program should be
renamed to doc-view-odf-converter or something like that.

Bye,
Tassilo