RE: bug tracker woes/misunderstanding

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bug tracker woes/misunderstanding
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 08:18:55 -0700

> > The bug tracker created a new bug:
> > bug#8670: OT: bug#8667: 24.0.50;`bounds-of-thing-at-point'
> > returns (N . N) for `comment'
> > I thought it would keep the same bug # since the # was in
> > the Subject.
>
> The main and reliable way the tracker uses is the email
> address you use.
> If you send it to <bugnb>@debbugs.gnu.org, then it won't pay attention
> to the subject and will not generate a new bug-number for it.
>
> OTOH if you send an email to address@hidden or
> address@hidden, this is usually presumed to be a new
> bug report, and the subject is checked for some common patterns to catch
> common mistakes.

Thanks, but I do not understand how what I did in this case differs from what I
always do, except for changing "RE" to "OT".

I just hit `Reply All', as usual.  Looking at past replies of mine, I see that
some of the mails I replied to were addressed to address@hidden, and
others were addressed to <bugnb>@debbugs.gnu.org - and this within the same
thread!  Why?

Hitting `Reply All' works in both cases, but it did not work when I changed the
"RE" to "OT" in the Subject.

See, for example, these two messages in the same thread.  Notice the cc fields.

1. http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8653#26
Uses address@hidden

2. http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8653#29
Uses address@hidden

In both cases I just hit `Reply All' and it worked correctly (did not open a new
bug).

I do not understand why some messages I receive in a thread have one address and
others in the same thread have the other address, but `Reply All' to both kinds
seems to work.

In the problematic case I did the same thing (`Reply All') and the address was
address@hidden, but the behavior was not the same as for #1 just above.
What am I missing?