whats the Emacsy way to xsltish tasks?

From: joakim
Subject: whats the Emacsy way to xsltish tasks?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 01:01:57 +0200

I have an elisp prog that builds an SVG image by using macros to create
xslt that then transforms an SVG to create another SVG. The solution
works but feels a bit humiliating. Why fork out to xsltproc, when xml is
lisp with brackets?

Now I have a couple of similar projects, and I'd like to try some
different solution. Regexp matching is worse on these cases than forking
out to xsltproc, so the alternative is to parse the xml with the new
libxml wrapper, and transform it in Elisp. But since these are randomly
deep structures Elisp might die from stack asphyxiation during recursion.

So what to do then? Implement tail elimination? wrap libxslt? Some other
embarassingly obvious solution I've missed?

--
Joakim Verona