Re: remove-duplicates performances

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: remove-duplicates performances
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 12:57:58 -0500

On Fri, 20 May 2011 19:01:16 +0200 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

DK> Well, the sorting function is a mess due to not being compiled and
DK> fearing dynamic binding.  If you byte-compile something like
DK> the behavior is likely better.

Incidentally, Doug Hoyte claims in "Let Over Lambda" that sorting
networks have better performance than other sorting algorithms for small
lists (25 elements was the biggest optimization example he gave).  This
seemed very reasonable to me because of their low memory and startup
costs, though I don't know enough about the topic to recommend sorting
networks in Emacs Lisp specifically.

It may be worthwhile to generate optimized sorting networks for such
small lists and to use them for sorting and (with modifications) for
`remove-duplicates' and frequency counting.  Is anyone interested?

Ted