Re: Move sha1 to C?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Move sha1 to C?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 03:21:19 -0400

> From: Leo <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 04:02:04 +0800
>
>   1. add sha1.[ch] from gnulib

Note that gnulib's sha1.c uses malloc, which is not safe in Emacs.
So either make sure sha1_stream is never ever called by Emacs, or use
xmalloc instead.

> Should the signature of sha1 stay as is or change to be similar to md5?
>
>    (md5 OBJECT &optional START END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR)

Are there any real reasons not to keep the API?  If there are good
reasons, let's hear them.  If there are no good reasons, my vote is to
keep the API backward-compatible.