Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 13:26:55 -0600

,------ Ken Raeburn wrote ------
|    emacsclient and daemon mode (but don't build for gtk!)

I use this functionality every day (in fact, I'm writing
this on a tunneled Emacs right now).  I am wondering why you
say not to compile with GTK?  Is it just because it is
slower that generic X over ssh?  I never thought to compile
without GTK.  I find it pretty snappy on my local network at
home, but a it is indeed a bit slow when I connect from
elsewhere through the house DSL connection.  How would you
recommend compiling?  I do use doc-view over ssh quite a
lot, so I need X functionality but nothing particularly
fancy beyond that.